Monday, July 21, 2008

If I only left earlier.....


Well, every photographer will tell you, being there is half the battle.  I saw the storm develop right over my house, and I thought it wouldn't produce anything interesting.  Then as soon as the sun went down I could see that this storm was lit up like a christmas tree inside.  I stood and watched for about 10 minutes before I realized this storm had some really good potential for decent shots.  I raced home to grab my gear, and headed out.  By the time I reached my site to shoot, the storm lost most of his energy and was only producing mostly cloud to cloud strikes.  On the way to my gear and to my site to shoot, I had a spectacular view of a very entertaining small lightning show.  But because I waited too long at my dads house, I wasn't able to get what I wanted. :( boo on me! but enjoy everyone

6 comments:

Jeffrey Lowman said...

as I posted this I just found out that this very storm dumped almost and Inch of rain over East Mesa in just about 10 minutes. It also caused downed power lines and over 4800 people without power. It didn't look so bad from where I was at, actually kind of nice and enjoyable...not dangerous looking

sjdennis said...

Ok, so do you do prints? That is a really good picture Mr. Lowman.... :-)

Anonymous said...

jeffrey jeffrey jeffrey. you are rising to quite the professional. this picture brings a compelling atmosphere, one of fear. not fear itself, but respectful fear. it makes me realize how intensely sporadic things can be.

Bettina Hansen said...

love it! i need more weather stuff :)

Ryan A. Ruiz Photography said...

I have had the worst luck catching any lightning this season. This is a great frame. I'm hella jealous.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love the colors and the overall grandeur. The city looks like nothing compared to that storm. You did a great job.