Monday, July 20, 2009

"The Ethereal Nomads" - Episode 1: The Voice

A disturbance is felt in the air, something is not right. Somewhere off in the distance, he has awakened, He is coming to me. I look out my window and the sky is stained with red, the setting sun calls out a warning. I part my gaze from the West to the South, my eyes see the start of an eventful night – I can’t see him behind the blinding haboob, but his mass is building and billowing up to the heavens, standing tall above all else, showing his size and stature to all of those in his way, his every move picks up more dust off the desert floor and spreads it to distant lands far from it’s home.

The dust blinds the city, choking it’s every breath and creates anxiety to the masses not knowing where his first step is going to fall. As the day concedes to the night, the air thickens with the taste of dirt and moisture. His first step sends a crash through the valley. He has announced his presence - He has arrived.


My first encounter of the summer with one of the Ethereal Nomads that travel thousands of miles from unknown lands to call the Southwest their home for two and a half months has started his journey.

His celestial chemistry is very unstable and unpredictable. His footsteps set off car alarms and brighten even the darkest of night. The abandoned apartment’s closet door to my left swings wide open with his first gust of wind and knocks my gaze away from him. I turn back and look up in awe as he notices my interest in him. He takes another step, very close to me. He knows I’m here. I close my eyes and take in a deep breath that is saturated with his aroma, the shock of his footstep shakes the very ground beneath me. I welcome him to me. His presence is soothing.

He came to me with such authority, moved from the South to the North in the matter of an hour. He approached me, I stared at him, not shying away. He showed me his power, I showed him respect and admiration. He tried to scare me, but I did not falter – I stood my ground. I passed his test. With a sign of mutual respect he turned from me and walked away stampeding off to the East.

As he left, a gust of wind from his change in direction whispered to me. “Follow my brother’s this summer, they are bigger, more dangerous, and demand respect.” “Do not be afraid, pursue them, for we want you to tell the world our story.”

I stood there with my eyes closed, camera in hand. Another footstep shakes the ground. I acknowledged his voice, a started photographing his magnificence as he dissipated off to the East. He had completed the mission from his Commander. His journey was over.


This starts my mission, my freelance goal for the rest of the summer. Chase down these nomads and be a messenger for them to the world to photograph their journey and write their story. As I come to them, you will know their message.

No comments: